Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Numbers Game - A Recap of 2016


If you aren't into numbers or stats than this quick piece is probably not going to be your cup of tea.  I have two rough drafts of 2016 recaps sitting in my Google Docs folder.  In them I had hoped to concentrate not on the numbers of the year, but what I had done to achieve those numbers.  I found that I was struggling to get my message across, spending large amounts of time just staring at the screen realizing I wasn't even close to conveying what I felt.  I am not sure why it took nearly two weeks but suddenly yesterday I understood I needed to put those pieces aside, all I was doing was fighting against the flow.  So instead, I have given into the inner numbers geek in me and will let that person come out for a few short moments. 

So without further ado, an orgy of numbers in what I promise will be one of the few times I succumb to a little ego stroking. 
 
A nice pretty graph from Excel

First off, I went into 2016 without any yearly goals.  I just wanted to focus on getting out as much as possible, especially in the winter months in conditions that were not favorable.  I felt that it would be best to condition my mind and body during those months so I could hit the summer in full stride.  If I can pass on one piece of advice to you from this, take full advantage of the winter.  It will make your summer so much more enjoyable.  Trust me.

In 2015, I just missed hitting 2,000 miles but had achieved my goal of 500,000' of gain in November.  I ended up around 550,000' for that year.  As I started 2016 I didn't  really consider that I would pass my 2015 yearly numbers, much less crush them.  I ended the year at 2,512 miles.  It can be hard to grasp how far that is so I will try and make it easier.  That's the equivalent of walking out of my place in Seattle and traveling along I-90 all the way to Kingsville, Ohio about 60 miles east of Cleveland.  Only I did it all on non-paved surfaces.  It took me 867 trail hours to accomplish this (I didn't track moving hours).  This averages to a pretty unspectacular 2.9 mph. 

Maybe the 771,000' of vertical gain slowed me down.  This is the number that still leaves me shaking my head.  A human who was mostly sedentary just four years earlier can achieve the same amount of gain as climbing 26 Mount Everests from sea level.  An average of 889 feet of gain per hour over the year.  Now I feel better about the speed!  I wanted more consistency in 2016 with my gain and I definitely made that happen with 36 of the first 38 weeks having at least 10,000' of gain.  The first nine months of the year I had at least 50,000' of gain per month.  In September those numbers all dropped off as I nursed an injury from my Wonderland Trip.

Each time I stepped onto a trail, I averaged 17 miles and 5,285 feet of gain in six hours.  I truly appreciate these numbers as so many of those 146 days on the trail were quick runs before going into work.  My longest stretch of time off during the year was only a week and I spent a few of those free days getting a root canal.  My weekly averages,  48 miles and 15,000' of climbing.  Monthly averages 209 miles and 64,000' of gain.   June was incredible.  The month began with a car-to-car on Glacier and ended with a car-to-car on Mount Olympus.  That month I set new highs in mileage (294) and elevation gain (97,000').  My biggest week was 112 miles with 37,000' of gain. 

Some other tidbits.  27 outings that were of "ultra" distance (>26.2 miles).  15 days with at least 10,000' of climbing.  239 summits a good amount of those Tiger summits, but also 15 new Bulger summits.  A side note, turning my focus to the Bulger list was one of the best things to happen in the year.  It opened up so many "new" areas to me and also challenged my to really bring my "A" game, combining trail running, cross country traveling, navigation, scrambling, and mountaineering into one. 

Some of the moments that stick out to me:  Completing the Wonderland, Section J of the PCT in 36 hours, Glacier Peak (twice), Mount Olympus, my Enchantment "Super" Loop, my six-peat of Cable Line, my Tiger 13 Summit day with 16,000' of gain,  Mount Hood in under five hours, a 46 mile North Bend Loop, the North Bend Trifecta all on foot, bailing off the Carne Mountain High Traverse and deciding to do the Spider Gap loop just a week or two before the fires shut the area down, the Mailbox to Mount Defiance Traverse, the Entiat Grand Slam, six Bulger Peaks to celebrate my 42nd birthday.   It just goes on and on...

So what made this all possible? I will try and make it as simple as I can.  I continued to try and cultivate the mentality of being present in the moment.  To enjoy each and every step while out in the mountains, to find the beauty in both the grand and also small things that I came upon while out there.  To "go with the flow" and not get hung up on goals, or to give in to the moment and follow what felt right.  If I wanted to run, I ran.  If running didn't feel like right, I walked.  I lost track of how many times I changed my mind while driving to one mountain because another mountain suddenly called to me.  I learned to listen to my gut more and turned around on so many mountains just because it didn't feel right.  No regrets afterwards.  I challenged my paradigms.  At the end of the year, being forced to walk I took a break from the mountains thinking what good is it if I can't move fast?  But I missed them, and returned to the trail and found that walking was just as good as running if I was just dialed into the present.  I also learned just how far one can walk in a day.  It served as a reset for me and ironically helped me to understand that I could do even grander adventures.

If you love numbers like me, don't feel bad about embracing them.  But as someone said recently on a group I belong to, don't become a slave to them.  Use them to your benefit, but don't find yourself being driven by them.  Nature should serve as all the motivation you need to get out on the trail as much as possible.

Oh and one last number, 32 bean burritos consumed.










3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I always find it interesting to hear how others reach their goals, even if you didn't have one for the year. Those are some really impressive numbers and it's cool that you traveled so many interesting sections of big trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justin. The miles and gain are just a by product of my love for being in the mountains. Hoping to get some new sections of trail in this year!

      Delete
    2. I totally get that! I wish I could spend that much time the mountains and on the trails myself. If only I got better mobile phone reception up there, I could take more conference calls away from my desk.

      Delete